Sports and physical therapy
Whether you’ve been injured playing sports, have undergone surgery, are recovering from a non-sports injury or have another medical condition, you may benefit from our expert providers.
Our rehabilitation specialists evaluate and treat a wide range of injuries and medical conditions that limit your movement or cause discomfort. We can help reduce your pain, increase your mobility, teach you how to avoid future injuries, and get you back to living your best life quickly and effectively.
Care is provided in a network of physical therapy clinics throughout Minnesota and western Wisconsin.
To schedule an appointment at any of our locations please call 612-262-7900.
Minnesota allows direct access to patient care. Please check with your insurance provider to find out if a physician referral is needed.
We offer virtual visits for this service, allowing you to see a provider from your home using a secure video connection. If this is your first appointment with a provider in this service or specialty, call 612-262-7900; if you’re a returning patient, call your Courage Kenny therapy department.
What it is
Sports and physical therapy uses exercise, massage and other techniques to help you heal, and maximize your function and quality of life.
Our outpatient rehabilitation teams include:
- physical therapists who help improve motor skills, joint movement, muscle development and strength, mobility and balance.
- occupational therapists and hand therapists who help improve muscle and joint movement, and strength and function in the hand, wrist, elbow and shoulder.
You also gain access to a wide array of specialty therapy services:
-- cancer rehabilitation for cancer survivors
-- hand rehabilitation following muscle or joint injury or surgery to the hand, wrist, elbow or shoulder
-- orthopedic rehabilitation following muscle, joint or spine injuries, strains and sprains or surgery
-- sports rehabilitation to ensure an athlete returns to sports safely after an injury or surgery. We can also screen athletes to make sure they are physically able to participate in a sport. Our sports rehabilitation services include:
- ACL injury prevention
- AlterG® Anti-Gravity Treadmill – allows people to exercise without pain, even while recovering from surgery or injury
- concussion management
- CycleSMART for beginner to advanced cycling enthusiasts to help you ride more efficiently and comfortably
- GolfSMART for golfers who are experiencing pain or fatigue while golfing, or who want to improve their gam
- RunSMART for novice to experienced runners to address nagging soreness, acute injuries or chronic pain, and to get you get back to training and an active running lifestyle
- sports medicine and athletic trainers
- video analysis for running, throwing and golf swing therapy
- pelvic rehabilitation therapy services to address pelvic pain and incontinence for women, men and children
- vestibular rehabilitation to overcome balance issues, dizziness and recovery from concussion
- workplace wellness and rehabilitation
Good to know
- Our therapists work with adults, teens and kids.
- A doctor’s referral may be needed to make your first appointment. Minnesota and Wisconsin allow direct access to receive physical therapy services, but your insurance may require a physician referral for payment of therapy services. Please check with your insurance or contact our scheduling office for assistance.
- We work closely with referring physicians to provide timely and effective communications every step of the way.
- In some locations, the Sports & Physical Therapy clinic is part of a Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute Outpatient Services clinic that also offers occupational and speech therapy.
- Before your first visit, please complete the Patient Intake Questionnaire. You’ll find a link to the form below.
Good for treating
Therapy after illness or injury is often key to a successful recovery. Some of the conditions we treat include:
- balance and dizziness
- cancer related pain, weakness and swelling
- chronic pain including complex regional pain syndrome
- incontinence and pelvic pain (adults and children)
- jaw (temporomandibular) pain
- lymphedema and edema
- movement disorders
- neck and back conditions
- orthopedic conditions, including those affecting the hand
- post Covid-19 conditions
What to expect
Our sports and physical therapy team will work with you to develop a personalized outpatient rehabilitation treatment plan that will be continually updated to meet your goals. Our highly skilled team members include therapists with advanced degrees and specialist certifications covering many areas of care.
Source: Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute
Reviewed by: Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute
First published: 10/1/2018
Last reviewed: 8/1/2018