Aquatic pool therapy service
Physical therapy offered in accessible, warm-water pools.
The physical properties of water can help heal a variety of medical conditions and enhance your performance. You may be able to achieve results in the pool that you were unable to do on land.
Good for treating
Aquatic physical therapy is good for conditions such as arthritis, back and neck injuries, head injuries, chronic pain, stroke, spinal cord injury, joint replacement, orthopedic injuries and neurological disorders. It helps:
- decrease pressure on joints
- improve cardiovascular endurance
- increase functional ability
- increase range of motion
- increase sensory input
- three-dimensional resistance with activity
- treatment for the entire body.
What to expect
The first therapy visit is a land evaluation with a therapist at a Courage Kenny location that may not have a pool. Your second visit will be at a pool location.
Once the evaluation is complete, your therapist will work with you in the pool to develop an exercise program personalized to your needs.
- Your therapist will coach you until you have an understanding of the exercises.
- You may start therapy in the pool, then progress to land-based therapy as your tolerance to exercise increases.
- You’ll have six to eight sessions. You may wish to continue your exercise program independently at a Courage Kenny pool or fitness center.
Source: Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute
Reviewed by: Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute
First published: 10/1/2018
Last reviewed: 8/1/2018