Get the same quality care you’d expect in person while saving time and travel. Through a secure video connection, a health care provider will listen to your concerns, answer your questions and recommend a treatment plan. All you need is your mobile device and the Allina Health account app.
Choose your virtual visit option:
What to expect
A convenient alternative to in-person care, virtual visits can address more health conditions and services than you might expect—including urgent care. Virtual visits are available during regular clinic hours to people of all ages in Minnesota and Wisconsin. The cost is similar to an in-person visit, but you’ll save time and stress by avoiding travel, parking and busy waiting rooms.
- No travel, parking, or waiting rooms
- Easy to do with kids around
- Great for consults, follow-up care, questions and prescriptions
- Private and secure connection via the Allina Health app
- Personal, face-to-face communication
- Predictable and comfortable format
- Just as valuable as an in-person visit for many types of appointments
Not sure about a virtual visit? Watch this short video and find out what it’s like. It’s a new approach, but you’ll get the same level of care, attention and commitment that you’d expect from us in person.
Good for treating
Virtual visit appointments are best for:
- Primary care: including sleep problems, anxiety and depression, allergies and sinus issues, medication check, follow-up care, skin conditions, management of chronic conditions (such as diabetes and hypertension), nutrition and weight management, Medicare wellness visit
- Some types of urgent care
- Pediatrics: common illness, ADHD/ADD and other developmental concerns and skin conditions
- OBGYN: post-partum and routine pregnancy care, some high-risk perinatal care, gynecological issue, menstruation changes, birth control and family planning
- Specialty care consultations from audiology, allergy and immunology, dermatology, mental health, integrative medicine, integrative nutrition, rehabilitation
These are just some of the care options available virtually. Check with your provider or clinic to see if your medical concern is right for a virtual visit.
Not available for:
- Emergency or urgent care visits
- Pre-operation or pre-procedure exams
- Conditions that require X-rays, scans, stitches or hands-on treatment
- Adult physical
- Well-child exam
Schedule a virtual doctor visit today
New to Allina Health? Call 1-888-425-5462 to schedule your virtual visit. If you already have an Allina Health account, you can schedule online.
Choose from hundreds of providers who do virtual visits. Don’t have a regular provider? Not sure who to see? Use the search function to find an expert in the type of care you need.
Start an urgent-care virtual visit
Log in to your Allina Health account to begin your virtual visit.
What patients are saying about virtual visits
"My provider answered all my questions, and it was quick, easy, and still felt personal!"
“I appreciate the virtual visit. It was very thorough and I didn’t have to drive to a clinic. Everything has been so easy. The scheduling, the appointments but mostly the CARE!”
“The entire process was very easy, convenient, and everyone involved was 100 percent comfortable with the virtual process. This instilled a lot of confidence in me, with this being my first virtual experience."
Good to know
Can I schedule a virtual visit for my child?
Virtual visits can be used for children from birth up to 12 years old.
- The virtual visit must be done through the parent/guardian’s proxy account for the child.
- Parent/guardian(s) who already have an Allina Health account can request proxy access for a child electronically.
- Parent/guardian(s) who do not have an Allina Health account, will need to complete the child proxy access form to get an account for themselves and access to the child’s record.
- The child with the health concern, must be present at the time of the virtual visit.
Can my teenager do a virtual visit?
Virtual visits are also an option for teenagers. Teens ages 13–17 can do virtual visits if they have an Allina Health account. Create an account online or call the account support line at 1-866-301-6698.
How much does a virtual visit cost?
A virtual visit usually costs the same as an office visit, but depends on your insurance plan. Virtual visits are not typically reimbursable with Medicare, but for a temporary period they will be reimbursed by Medicare to support patients and providers during the coronavirus outbreak. Contact your health insurance provider to understand the total out-of-pocket cost you may be responsible for following your virtual visit.
If your provider determines that your health concern can’t be addressed during your virtual visit and requires an in-person visit, you won’t be charged for the virtual visit if you are seen in-person the same day.
What if I need to have a physical exam?
Your care team will review your appointment needs in advance and will contact you if you should be seen in person. Also, during your virtual visit, if you provider determines that you need an in-person visit to complete the assessment, you will not be charged for the virtual visit.
If you need to come to the clinic on another day for lab work, immunizations or imaging tests, you will be charged for those services just as you would following an in-person visit. But you would not be charged for an additional virtual visit.
Can I schedule a virtual visit outside normal clinic hours?Virtual visits are available during standard clinics hours, but you can call or click anytime to set up your appointment. If you need care for common conditions outside of clinic hours, an Everyday Online consult is available 24/7 with no appointment required. Complete an online questionnaire and we’ll send a diagnosis and treatment plan within an hour. Certain medical conditions are excluded from Everyday Online consults, and you must be 65 years or younger.
Can I use an interpreter during a virtual visit?
We can help you with any unique needs for your virtual visit experience, including using an interpreter. Please call 1-888-4ALLINA (1-888-425-5462) for assistance prior to your visit.
Are virtual visits as private and secure as regular visits?
Yes. Unlike some health care providers that use commonly available video technologies like Zoom or Google Meet, our virtual visits happen via a secure, proprietary video connection within the Allina Health account, so you can feel confident that your privacy will be protected.
Will I need to show an area of my body that is normally covered by clothing?
Virtual visit appointments do not require you show areas of your body that are normally covered. If you have concerns or questions, send your care team a message within the Allina Health account, or call your clinic.
What do I need to do to prepare for a virtual visit?
If your visit requires any preparation, your care team will call you in advance to let you know.