Keeping track of your medicines - and knowing how and when to take them - is important to your health. To get the most from your medications, schedule an appointment to talk to your health care provider about your prescriptions, dosage adjustments, over-the-counter medications and any vitamins, herbal remedies or supplements you take.
What is medication management?
In your medication management appointment you can schedule time to discuss medication questions, dosage adjustments for any prescription medications, over-the-counter drugs, vitamins, herbal remedies or supplements with your provider. It is important to share all medications your take with your health care provider.
What to expect from your medication management appointment
If your doctor prescribes a medication for you, ask questions about the medicine, such as:
- What is the name of the medicine?
- Why are you prescribing this medicine/what condition does this medicine treat?
- How long will I have to take this medicine?
- Is there a generic or low-cost form of this medicine?
- When should I see you again to decide if the medicine is working for me?
More about medication management
Pharmacists can also help you understand a lot about prescription medications and over-the-counter medications.
It is a good idea to have all your prescription medications filled at the same pharmacy. Then the pharmacy team can check to make sure any new medications work well with other medications you are taking, and that there are no drug allergies listed in your pharmacy records.
For all medications, it is important to:
- take your medicine(s) as directed
- talk with your health care provider (or pharmacist) before you stop taking your medicine(s)
- talk to your health care provider before taking any medications if you are pregnant
Allina Health Pharmacy comprehensive medication review
Track your medications and more in My Account
Over-the-counter medicine list
Understanding your prescription
Reviewed by: Brian Miller, MD
First published: 3/7/2017
Last reviewed: 8/19/2021