If you are experiencing balance problems or have had a fall, a referral to a physical therapist who specializes in treating this condition may help.
What is balance retraining
Balance retraining is specialized physical therapy that will help assess your:
- strength and endurance
- joint flexibility and range of motion
- gait and functional mobility
- your goals for activity and function
What to expect from balance retraining
Treatment options can include:
- balance retraining
- canalith repositioning procedure and/or exercise
- exercises to strengthen and address other issues relating to your muscles, bones, joints and connective tissue
- gait retraining
- general conditioning
You will also receive instruction in a home exercise program you will be asked to do in between therapy sessions.
Balance retraining is good for treating
- balance problems
- frequent falls
Balance retraining at Allina Health
- Our therapists work with adults, teens and kids.
- A doctor’s referral may be needed to make your first appointment. Minnesota and Wisconsin allow direct access to receive physical therapy services, but your insurance plan may require a referral. Please check with your insurance or contact our scheduling office for assistance.
- We work closely with your referring provider to provide timely communications every step of the way.
- Before your first visit, please complete the Patient Intake Questionnaire. You’ll find a link to the form below.
Source: Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute
Reviewed by: Lynette Leuty, PT; Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute
First published: 4/22/2019
Last reviewed: 4/19/2019