Richard Coffin, MD
- Forensic Psychiatry
- Community Psychiatry
- LGBTQ+ Health
- Transgender Health
- Bipolar Disorder
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
Practice philosophy: Open and non-judgmental. It is important to listen to every person and find out where they are coming from and what is important to them to help them achieve their goals and improve their quality of life.
What are you passionate about and why? I love being outside, whether I am sitting in a park somewhere, camping, or exercising.
If you weren't a health care provider, what would you be? Probably a personal trainer. Being a psychiatrist is like being a mental health coach.
What is something you have learned from your patients? I am constantly learning new things from my patients. I think that is one of the most important things about any relationship is being open and learning from each other.
What is one of the challenges of this career you enjoy? And why? Every person is different and that means every treatment needs to be different there is no one-size fits all and I enjoy finding the right solution for each person.
What is the best thing you've done for your health or the best health advice you've received? I started weightlifting after medical school and it has been such a good stress reliever and very rewarding to keep setting small goals and achieving them.
What are you most proud of? Graduating from medical school is obviously a huge achievement, but I think I'm most proud of seeing my spouse achieve their goals because "we all do better when we all do better."
- Attending sports events
- Strength and conditioning
- University of Minnesota
- American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law
- American Medical Association
- American Psychiatric Association
- Midwest Chapter of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law
- University of Minnesota Department of Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences - Adult Psychiatry
- University of Minnesota Department of Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences - Forensic Psychiatry
Years of experience
- Abbott Northwestern Hospital
Are you this provider? Update your profile.
Major health plans we participate in
- Allina Health | Aetna
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota
Other health plans we participate in
- America's PPO
- First Health/Coventry
- Hennepin Health (formerly Metropolitan Health Plan)
- South Country Health Alliance
- United Behavioral Health
- Wisconsin Physician Services (WPS)