Brain injury rehabilitation services
Comprehensive inpatient and outpatient care for people of all ages who have had a brain injury.
What it is
Allina Health Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute offers you and your loved ones comprehensive care and rehabilitation for mild to moderate brain injury and other medically complex conditions.
Our care combines inpatient, outpatient and community-based services, matched to meet your unique needs.
Brain injury rehabilitation often begins while you are still in the hospital. Once your condition has stabilized, your care team will recommend the best treatment for you. In some circumstances, your provider may recommend comprehensive rehabilitation in a hospital (Abbott Northwestern or United hospitals) to provide 24-hour medical care. Inpatient care also is available through the Transitional Rehabilitation Program (TRP) in Golden Valley. TRP is licensed as a skilled nursing facility (SNF). Therapy is provided at an intensity that best fits your needs and goals.
The Brain Injury Clinic (BIC) offers outpatient rehabilitation for people who have had mild to moderate brain injury. Our services can help you improve your ability to work and complete school. We’ll partner with you on strategies to improve your memory, concentration, communication, organization and coping skills.
Our Community Reintegration Program (CRP) is intensive outpatient group treatment designed to maximize your abilities and independence. Through group support we focus on your individual goals to help you gain independence and improve pre-work skills.
Our community-based services can help you get back to living, working and playing as independently as possible. Options include:
• ABLE (Activity Based Locomotor Exercise) Program
• adaptive sports and recreation
• assistive technology
• behavioral and mental health services
• driver assessment and training
• independent living skills
• pool, fitness and wellness activities
• support groups
• vocational specialists
What to expect
Our care team is led by Medical Director Indra Lim, MD, a board-certified physical medicine and rehabilitation physician who is also specialty board-certified in brain injury rehabilitation medicine.
Our care team members specialize in the treatment of brain injury or head trauma and include:
- care coordinators
- dietitians and nutritionists
- occupational therapists
- physiatrists (physicians who specialize in physical medicine and rehabilitation)
- physical therapists
- rehabilitation nurses and nurse practitioners
- respiratory therapists
- social workers
- speech/language pathologists
- therapeutic recreational specialists
Good to know
Our comprehensive outpatient and community-based brain injury services are available for people of all ages and focus on your continued recovery. We help you learn new skills and manage your symptoms to improve your day-to-day function and regain as much independence as possible.
Other services may include:
- Advanced Primary Care Clinic offers you medical, rehabilitation and psychiatric care in one accessible location, designed to keep you as healthy and independent as possible
- balance retraining and vestibular rehabilitation treats imbalance or dizziness caused by brain injury
- chronic pain management
- innovative technology options such as robotics, body weight-supported treadmill, robotic walking systems, functional electrical stimulation and environmental control access.
Good for treating
Mild to moderate brain injury due to head injury, stroke, non-progressive brain tumor, anoxia, or encephalitis.
Source: Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute
Reviewed by: Katie Pieper
First published: 8/30/2018
Last reviewed: 7/9/2018