Brain injury clinic
Outpatient rehabilitation and follow up care for people with mild to moderate brain injury. Under the direction of neuropsychology, Brain Injury Clinic therapies are supported by case management and close collaboration between mental health and rehabilitation therapies.
What it is
Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute Brain Injury Clinic (BIC) can help you improve your ability to work and complete school. We’ll partner with you on strategies to improve your memory, concentration, communication, organization and coping skills.
Good to know
Our care team is led by Medical Director Indra Lim, MD, a board-certified physical medicine and rehabilitation physician who is also specialty board-certified in brain injury rehabilitation medicine.
For two to three months you will participate in weekly follow up sessions that last 2-3 hours.
Most insurance plans cover this service.
Team members may include:
- care coordinator
- occupational therapist
- physical therapist
- speech-language pathologist
- vision therapy
Good for treating
Mild to mod brain injury due to head injury, stroke, non-progressive brain tumor, anoxia, or encephalitis. You must be Independent in self-care activities and able to participate in therapies without supervision. You must be at least 2-3 months post injury.
What to expect
A major focus is to help you improve your performance in life roles, such as at work or school. You will participate in weekly one-to-one sessions with your therapy team for two to three months. Additional follow up is scheduled as needed.
As part of the Brain Injury Clinic you will focus on:
- Assisting your family members to understand and cope with your brain injury
- Learning compensation strategies for thinking, communicating, concentrating, improving memory
- Dealing with your own personal feelings about your injury and resulting changes
- Improving your ability to be organized and get things done
- Improving your ability to deal with stress
- Improving your personal relationships
- Improving your self confidence
Helping you with return-to-work or school preparation under the direction of neuropsychology team members.
Source: Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute
Reviewed by: Katie Pieper
Last reviewed: 7/10/2019