Obstetrics and gynecology (OB/GYN)
Our obstetrics and gynecology providers offer health and wellness care to support you throughout all life stages including adolescence, family planning, pregnancy and menopause.
Your care may include pelvic exam, breast health exam, Pap smear and other health screenings when appropriate. You and your provider may talk about these topics.
- birth control
- sexually transmitted infection screening
- pregnancy planning
- menstrual issues
- diet, exercise, and healthy weight
- symptoms of menopausal transition
- colon cancer screening
- long-term birth control options
- diet, exercise and healthy weight
- pelvic floor and incontinence issues
Ages 65 and older:
It is recommended that you start seeing a family medicine or internal medicine physician for your annual exam around this time
- mammography until age 75
- complications of menopause
- bone mineral density screening, breast exam and pelvic exams-dependent on your specific needs
You can see a physician (obstetricians and gynecologists and family medicine providers), certified nurse-midwife or nurse practitioner for obstetrics and gynecology care.
Source: Allina Health Primary Care clinical service line
Reviewed by: Ronald Gourneau, MD
First published: 8/1/2004
Last reviewed: 2/17/2017