Oncology nurse navigation
Your oncology nurse navigators are registered nurses with experience in oncology, the medical and nursing specialty focused on cancer care.
The navigator works closely with you, your doctors and other care team members. Your navigator helps you learn about and understand your diagnosis and treatment options while also coordinating all the steps needed to make sure you receive the best possible care.
What it is
Oncology nurse navigators are registered nurses with special knowledge about cancer, its treatment and how it affects people and families.
A oncology nurse navigator:
- supports and guides you through every step of cancer diagnosis, treatment and follow-up care
- helps you understand your diagnosis, treatment options and care plan
- responds to your questions and seeks information from other care team members when needed
- coordinates the flow of information among all of your doctors and other care team members
- helps you learn about and access services such as integrative therapies through the Penny George Institute for Health and Healing, and rehabilitation services through the Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute
- helps you learn about and access additional resources like spiritual care, cosmetic surgery services, end of life care, family counseling, palliative care, psychology services, support groups and more
Source: Allina Health Cancer Care
Reviewed by: Allina Health Cancer Care
First published: 6/4/2019
Last reviewed: 6/4/2019