Good nutrition is key to losing weight and making the most of your life. But with so much conflicting advice out there, how can you choose the best healthy diet for weight loss? OPTIFAST® from Allina Health is a total meal replacement program that makes it simple to lose weight quickly, safely and for the long term.
The OPTIFAST® plan includes:
- Nutritious meal replacement products
- Consultation and regular check-ins with a care team including doctors, nurse practitioners and dieticians
- Education opportunities including free classes
- Ongoing support to build healthy, lifelong habits.
What is Optifast?
OPTIFAST® is a weight-loss program that includes meal replacement foods—soups, protein bars, weight loss protein shakes and more—plus medical supervision from an experienced, compassionate team. Meal replacement products are formulated to provide complete nutrition for weight loss by providing all of the vitamins and minerals your body needs each day.
OPTIFAST® includes three phases:
- Active weight loss (typically months 1-4): Begin a diet of OPTIFAST® full meal replacement products
- Transition (typically months 4-6): Gradually add self-prepared foods back in to your diet
- Maintenance (typically months 6-24): Continue to attend support sessions to maintain weight loss long-term
OPTIFAST® how and why
What’s the OPTIFAST® program all about? Does it work? Will I keep the weight off? Find out in these short videos.
- What is the OPTIFAST® program? | What is the OPTIFAST® program video transcript
- OPTIFAST® overview | OPTIFAST® overview video transcript
- Is OPTIFAST® better than other weight loss programs? | Is OPTIFAST® better than other weight loss programs? video transcript
- Allina Health helps you manage your weight for life. | Allina Health helps you manage your weight for life video transcript
You must have a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or higher to enroll in the OPTIFAST® program. The cost is similar to or even less than what an average person spends on groceries and eating out in restaurants each week.
Optifast can help treat
Reaching and maintaining a healthy weight can help treat and reduce your risk of:
- type 2 diabetes
- high blood pressure
- sleep apnea
- heart disease
- high cholesterol
- polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)
- back and joint pain
If you are postponing knee, hip or other surgery because your doctor has recommended you lose weight before surgery, OPTIFAST® may be a solution.
Health benefits of OPTIFAST®
In this short video, a dietitian explains the Multiple benefits of the OPTIFAST® program | Multiple benefits of the OPTIFAST® program video transcript
What to expect from Optifast
Initial consultation. When you come for your first visit, you will review your health history and goals with your OPTIFAST® provider. You will be able to share your motivation for losing weight and ask any questions you have about the program.
Designing a plan. Your care team will be the same throughout the OPTIFAST® program so they can truly get to know you and help you reach your individual goals. Together you will design a weight loss plan that’s specific to your health needs and goals.
Replacement meals and more. You will purchase OPTIFAST® meal replacement products in the Allina Health clinic where you have your medical appointments. You are also strongly encourage to attend our free educational classes.
Paul’s OPTIFAST® journey
How does it feel to lose weight with OPTIFAST®? Get a firsthand perspective from our patient Paul, who kept a video journal of his OPTIFAST® journey.
- From start to finish, Paul’s OPTIFAST® Journey | Video transcript - From start to finish, Paul’s OPTIFAST® Journey
- OPTIFAST® – Day 1 | Video Transcript-OPTIFAST® Day 1
- OPTIFAST® – Day 8 | Video Transcript-OPTIFAST® Day 8
- OPTIFAST® – Day 15 | Video Transcript-OPTIFAST® Day15
- OPTIFAST® – Day 29 | Video Transcript-OPTIFAST® Day 29
- OPTIFAST® – Day 43 | Video Transcript-OPTIFAST® Day 43
- OPTIFAST® – Day 57 | Video Transcript-OPTIFAST® Day 57
- OPTIFAST® – Day 71 | Video Transcript-OPTIFAST® Day 71
- OPTIFAST® – Day 85 | Video Transcript-OPTIFAST® Day 85
- OPTIFAST® – Day 100 | Video Transcript-OPTIFAST® Day 100
- OPTIFAST® – Day 180 | Video Transcript-OPTIFAST® Day 180
How it works
In a series of short videos, a dietitian discusses how OPTIFAST® works, how much you can expect to lose and more.
- How OPTIFAST® works | How OPTIFAST® works video transcript
- How much weight can I expect to lose? | How much weight can I expect to lose? video transcript
- Will I be hungry on the OPTIFAST® program? | Will I be hungry on the OPTIFAST® program? video transcript
- Cost of the OPTIFAST® program | Cost of the OPTIFAST® program video transcript
- What if I have food allergies? | What if I have food allergies? video transcript
- Importance of the weekly support classes | Importance of the weekly support classes video transcript
Contact us about Optifast
To enroll in the OPTIFAST® Weight Management program:
Complete the health history form. The health history form allows the provider to review your medical, surgical and weight history. The Weight Management staff will review your form and call you to schedule an appointment.
Email, mail or fax your health history form to:
Mail: Weight Management Referral Specialist
Mercy Specialty Center
11850 Blackfoot St. NW, Suite 130
Coon Rapids, MN 55433
If you have any questions or would like the health history form sent to your Allina Health account, please call 763-236-0940.
OPTIFAST® provider questionnaire
Insurance and billing worksheet
Health history form
Patient education manual: Weight Management Medical Program
Optifast Virtual Support Group
Reviewed by: Deborah Vanderhall, MHA, RN; Manager, Bariatrics & Weight Loss Operations and Clinical Programs
First published: 12/20/2018
Last reviewed: 1/26/2021