About this service
What it is
There are several types of weight loss surgery (also known as bariatric surgery). In most cases, you will have laparoscopic surgery. Surgeons use laparoscopic surgery because you will have smaller incisions, smaller scars, less pain, shorter hospital stay, faster recovery and fewer complications.
Allina Health Weight Management offers the following surgeries:
- sleeve gastrectomy
- Roux-en-Y gastric bypass
- duodenal switch
What to expect
- You can expect that it will take at least three to six months to prepare for surgery.
- The care team will talk with you to help you determine the surgery that is best to meet your needs.
- You will get a lot of education and information before surgery to make sure you feel prepared and ready for surgery.
- You will have several clinic visits before surgery.
- During your hospital stay, you will receive care from specially trained staff members.
- You will have a private hospital room during your stay.
- You will be encouraged to follow-up with us at least once a year, every year after surgery.
Good to know
We invite you to attend our free online webinar or free in-person class to learn more about surgery.
In-person class: You’ll learn more about surgery and get answers to your questions without any cost or obligation. Bring a family member or friend if you like. If you have questions, please call 763-236-0940.
If you complete the online webinar, you do not need to attend the in-person class.
Online webinar post-test and health history form
- Read or print out the post-test before watching the seminar video.
- Watch the seminar video.
- Complete the post-test and health history form.
The health history form provides the surgeon with your medical, surgical and weight history. Once the Bariatric Center staff receives your form, they will review it and call you to schedule an appointment with a surgeon.
We will score your post-test as soon as we get it.
- A passing score is 19 correct questions.
- For scores less than 19, you will be asked to attend an in-person class. This is to make sure you understand the surgical options, risks and outcomes of weight loss surgery.
- Email or mail your post-test and health history form to:
Mail: Weight Management Referral Specialist
Mercy Specialty Center
11850 Blackfoot St. NW, Suite 300
Coon Rapids, MN 55433
If you are not able to open, save, or send the post-test and/or history form, please call 763-236-0940 and a hard copy with a return envelope will be mailed out to you. Or, you may print a copy and mail to Allina Health Weight Management Attention: Referral Specialist, 11850 Blackfoot St. NW, Coon Rapids, MN 55433.
Allina Health weight management surgery centers in Coon Rapids, Minneapolis and St. Paul are accredited by MBSAQIP, the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery quality program.
We will work with you and your insurance company to understand what services and care are covered.
Good for treating
Weight loss not only makes you feel better, move better and improve your energy, many other health problems get better:
- type 2 diabetes
- high blood pressure
- sleep apnea
- heart disease
- high cholesterol
- polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)
- back and joint pain
Source: Deborah Vanderall, RN, program manager, Allina Health Weight Management
Reviewed by: Charles Svendsen, MD, MBA, program medical director, Allina Health Weight Management
First published: 12/13/2017
Last reviewed: 12/11/2017