Medical weight management program
You can lose weight to improve your overall health and decrease the severity of weight-related medical conditions. You will work with medical weight management providers to find the right tools and resources for you to successfully maintain a healthy weight and improve your quality of life.
What it is
Individual program: If you prefer more personalized, one-on-one care, the individual Medical Weight Management program may work best for you. Appointments are available at our locations in Hopkins, Minneapolis and St. Paul.
You will meet with a weight loss physician or nurse practitioner. The provider will create a specialized treatment plan for you. Your treatment plan may include medication.
A registered dietitian will meet with you to develop a diet tailored to your specific needs. The focus is on portion control, healthy eating and a moderately reduced calorie diet that will work for you.
- You can expect a one-hour intake visit with the doctor or nurse practitioner to get to know you and your history
- You will also have a one-hour intake appointment with the dietitian to learn more about your eating habits and patterns.
- Monthly visits with both the provider and dietitian will occur to help keep you on-track and check your progress towards your goals.
- We are here for long-term follow up, if needed, to help you maintain your weight loss.
The individual program cost for provider and dietitian visits is covered by most insurers (not covered by Medicare).
Good for treating
Weight loss makes you feel better, move better and improve your energy – and many other health problems get better:
- type 2 diabetes
- high blood pressure
- sleep apnea
- heart disease
- high cholesterol
- polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)
- back and joint pain
Good to know
To participate in the program you:
- must be an adult, 18 years or older
- have not been pregnant in the past six months and are not breastfeeding
- are not planning on becoming pregnant in the next six months
- individual medical weight management program: body mass index (BMI) of 30 or higher
Steps to sign up
- Complete the health history form, found under "Related links"
- Send document to:
- Email email@example.com
- Or mail to:
Weight Management Referral Specialist
Mercy Specialty Center
11850 Blackfoot St. NW, Suite 300
Coon Rapids, MN 55433
If you are not able to open, save or send the history form, please call 763-236-0940 and a hard copy with a return envelope will be mailed out to you. Or, you may print a copy and mail to Allina Health Weight Management Attention: Referral Specialist, 11850 Blackfoot St. NW, Coon Rapids, MN 55433
3. Upon receipt of your health history form, scheduling staff will contact you to assist you with individual appointment or group scheduling, depending on your preferred program.
Good to know
Low-calorie meal replacement OPTIFAST® Program: Patients in the Medical Weight Loss Program meet with a weight loss physician who creates a specialized treatment plan to help them reach their individual weight loss goals.
Depending on each patient’s unique goals and medical situation, treatment may include the use of a low-calorie diet. The low-calorie plan offered to our patients includes protein bars and soups.
Please call for details: 763-236-0940.
Source: Deborah Vanderhall, RN, program manager, Allina Health Weight Management
Reviewed by: Charles Svendsen, MD, MBA, program medical director, Allina Health Weight Management
First published: 12/13/2017
Last reviewed: 12/11/2017