Medicare wellness visit
Medicare preventive services are special services included in your Medicare Part B insurance benefits. Prevention is an important part of staying healthy, so take advantage of these valuable opportunities to talk with your health care provider about your wellness, once every 12 months.
What it is
Medicare preventive services include a visit with your health care provider, every 12 months, to discuss:
- preventive care
- disease screening
What to expect
During your Medicare Wellness Visit, your provider may discuss the following topics:
- current medications and supplements you are taking (please bring all your medications to your appointment)
- height, weight, blood pressure and pulse
- safety and accident prevention discussion
- screening for certain common conditions
- personalized screening plan for other conditions
- safety and accident prevention
Good to know
Medicare Part B (medical insurance) covers:
- Welcome to Medicare visit: One-time service, within your first 12 months of Medicare Part B coverage.
- First annual wellness visit: One-time service, at least 12 months after your “Welcome to Medicare visit,” if this was done.
- Medicare Wellness visit: Ongoing annual visits, at least 12 months after the previous wellness visit.
- Breast/pelvic exam is covered every other year for women.
Additional medical tests and services are still available to you, and additional time may be scheduled during your appointment to discuss new or existing health concerns, but an additional cost will be charged to your insurance.
Coinsurance and/or deductibles may apply to these additional services such as:
- new health concerns like a cold, cough, upset stomach or warts
- evaluation of a pre-existing health condition already identified before the appointment
- a new treatment plan established for your health and safety
For more details, go to medicare.gov or call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227).
Reviewed by: Brian Miller, MD
First published: 3/7/2017
Last reviewed: 12/9/2016