Swing bed program
The Swing Bed Program is a transitional care program designed to provide care to those needing extra time to heal or strengthen before returning home.
When is Swing Bed care appropriate?
For patients who have had a three night inpatient hospital stay and need any of the following care:
- Need to heal and regain strength through therapies post acute medical or surgical stay
- Patient has a daily skilled need such as daily therapy, IV antibiotics, etc.
- Specialized wound care
- Post surgical orthopedic rehabilitation
- Stroke rehabilitation
What to expect from the program
Our swing bed program may be a better short term alternative to a nursing home transfer if you need rehabilitation after surgery, illness or accident, such as a cardiac event, stroke or orthopedic surgery, for example.
You will receive an individualized plan of care, stay in a private room, and receive the therapy you require from trained professionals including physicians, nurses, dietitians, social workers and physical, occupational, speech and respiratory therapists.
We offer low patient-to-nurse ratios and your progress will be evaluated on an ongoing basis, with family conferences as needed to prepare you for your return home.
The swing bed program is designed to function like a bridge between the hospital and your home, giving you time to heal and increase your strength and independence before returning to everyday life.
Why choose River Falls Area Hospital's Swing Bed (Transitional Care) Program?
- Low patient to nurse ratio
- Recuperate in a private room
- High patient satisfaction scores
- Seamless transition of care
- One-on-one physical, occupational, speech and respiratory therapy (as appropriate)
- In-house pharmacist and registered dietitian
- 24 hour registered nurses on staff
- 24-hour emergency department onsite
- IV therapy
- Specialized wound care team
- Primary care physician weekly visits
- In-house lab, x-ray and surgery
- Discharge planning and social work services
- Excellent medical care, close to home
Who is the swing bed (transitional care) program for?
The swing bed (transitional care) program is for patients who have had a three-day inpatient hospitalization and may be recovering from:
- Cardiac event
- Major surgery
- Orthopedic joint repair or replacement
- Wound care
- Restorative surgery
- IV therapies
- Respiratory therapies
- Acute physical, occupational or cognitive therapy
- Diabetes management
- Congestive heart failure
- Cancer treatment
- Medication changes
- Gastrointestinal problems
- Weakness and deconditioning
Who is eligible for the swing bed (transitional care) program?
You’re eligible for the swing bed (transitional care) program at River Falls Area Hospital if:
- You have been in the hospital for three nights as an inpatient
- You need a skilled level of nursing or therapy care (as determined by your doctor and therapy team)
- You are willing to work towards goals with your therapy team
- You have coverage under Medicare Part A or private insurance
What's the next step?
Give our swing bed program care (transitional care) team a call at 715-307-6139 to find out more. We will work with you and your physician to determine your suitability for this swing bed care (transitional care) option. We are happy to work with your insurance company to determine if the program is a covered benefit for you.
You can also reach an RN Care Coordinator at 715-307-6139 and the Nurse's station at 715-307-6100.