Heart patients in rural communities no longer have to travel long distances to receive care, thanks to the TeleHeart program of The Minneapolis Heart Institute®, a service of Allina Health. Using HIPAA–compliant technology, patients with cardiovascular health care needs meet with a Minneapolis Heart Institute® provider who can assess, diagnose and treat heart conditions just like going to the in-person clinic.
What is TeleHeart?
TeleHeart is a real time, remote, face-to-face video health care interaction. It offers you several advantages over traditional specialty care, including:
- Shorter wait for care — With the addition of TeleHeart appointments in our outreach communities, you have quicker access to a cardiology provider and to cardiology sub specialty care.
- Convenience — You can receive expert care delivered close to home in a familiar environment. Less travel time is also easier on your family and support system.
- Cost — The cost for a TeleHeart visit is similar to a traditional office visit and is usually covered by medical insurance.
What to expect from TeleHeart
For a TeleHeart appointment, local nursing staff—start the face-to-face visits by reviewing your needs, medications and blood pressure, heart rate, etc. They then connect with an Minneapolis Heart Institute® (MHI®) cardiovascular provider via TeleHeart video equipment.
You can ask questions and interact with the MHI® cardiovascular provider, just as you would in a traditional clinic appointment.
Your medical history and recent test results are available to the MHI® cardiovascular provider in advance of your appointment.
We work in partnership with your personal physician and clinical team, so any documentation from a TeleHeart visit becomes part of your care plan.
More on TeleHeart
The TeleHeart program is available in:
- Blue Earth
- Morris – Stevens Community Medical Center
- Morris – Prairie Ridge Clinic
- New Ulm
- Pine City
- Sleepy Eye
Check with your medical insurance carrier to see if they will cover an MHI TeleHeart visit. Many insurance companies cover Telehealth visits at the same rate as traditional in-person clinic visits.
Source: MHI TeleHeart Program
Reviewed by: Debbi Lindgren-Clendenen / Marc Newell
Last reviewed: 1/23/2020