Christine Athmann, MD, MHA
- Family medicine
Not accepting new patients in this area.
- Women's Health
- Clinical operations
- Healthcare diversity issues
I am a board certified family medicine provider with professional interests in women's health, clinical operations and healthcare diversity issues.
I am passionate about: One of my biggest passions is Native American health care. I grew up on the White Earth Indian Reservation and am a descendent of the tribe. I've done a lot of work in recruiting and supporting Native American students into health careers and find so much joy in watching these students achieve their dreams and go back and serve our people.
If I wasn’t a provider, I would be: involved in population health or health policy.
Why I became a provider: I grew up going to the Indian Health Service for health care. There was high turnover of providers and long waits to be seen. This is where my health career interest was sparked. They needed help and with the guidance of the Center of American Indian and Minority Health at the University of Minnesota Medical School, I was able to walk that path.
What I have learned from my patients: Patients have taught me humility. Everyone travels their own path and learning where someone is on that path gives you tons of insight as to how you can potentially help them.
My personal health goal is: Continue to stay fit through cardio and weights and cook a healthy meal each night with my husband.
I am most proud of: I am most proud of my work with Native American students. Mentorship is so important and having that opportunity to mentor has been so rewarding.
- Family medicine
- University of Minnesota Medical School
- University of Minnesota Medical School, Duluth
- University of Minnesota, Morris
- Wisconsin Board of Medical Practice
- Comprehensive Advanced Life Support
- American Board of Family Medicine (ABFM) Board
- Minnesota Board of Medical Practice
- Advanced Life Support in Obstetrics
- USMLE Step 3—Pass
- Neonatal Resuscitation Program
- Fundamental Critical Care Support
- Basic Life Support
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support
- USMLE Step 2—Pass
- USMLE Step 1—Pass
- American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP)
- Associate Member, Association of American Indian Physicians (AAIP)
- Wisconsin Academy of Family Physicians (WAFP)
- Wisconsin Medical Association
Current licenses and certifications
- Minnesota Medical License
- Wisconsin Medical License
- University of Minnesota Family Medicine Residency Program
- Masters of Healthcare Administration, University of Minnesota
Years of experience
Are you this provider? Update your profile.
To verify your specific doctor's or hospital's network participation with any plan, please contact the health plan directly. This information is subject to change and may not be reflected until the next update. We accept many insurance plans, providing access to providers across a wide range of specialties. Learn more.
Major health plans we accept
- Allina Health | Aetna
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota
Other health plans we accept
- America's PPO
- First Health/Coventry
- Hennepin Health (formerly Metropolitan Health Plan)
- South Country Health Alliance
- United Behavioral Health
- Wisconsin Physician Services (WPS)