Mental health consultant services
A full schedule can make it challenging to get the help you need when you’re ready. The best time to consider mental health support is before you’re overwhelmed with depression, anxiety, addiction or other mental health concerns.
Your mental health consultant makes it easier to get the best possible mental health care for your routine, health needs and wellness goals.
Ready to be seen? Start your on demand virtual consultation now or schedule an in-person appointment.
What happens during a mental health consultant visit?
The purpose of a mental health consultation is to prevent and treat mental health challenges by exploring the best care options and resources for you. Mental health consultants are available in person or virtually when you need timely access to therapy.
- You will talk with a mental health consultant, a licensed clinical social worker offering therapy and immediate access to mental health care at Allina Health Primary Care clinics. Your consultant will ask questions to ensure you get the right care.
- You will complete a brief assessment to customize your mental health care plan and resource needs.
- You may get a referral to a mental health care provider to address your unique needs.
Your mental health consultant does not prescribe medications, complete court-ordered care or sign documents. Consultants do not sign documents for emotional support animals, leave of absences, and other related accommodations.
Virtual mental health care on demand
Virtual care is a quick, confidential and convenient way to get support. Easily connect virtually with the next available mental health consultant if you have urgent or same-day mental health needs Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
Virtual mental health services are available on demand, meaning you can connect with the next available consultant from your computer or mobile device.
On demand virtual visits are available for people 13 and older. Teenagers ages 13-17 must have a parent or guardian to consent to their visit.
Don’t have time to make an appointment? Learn how to start an on demand virtual visit on mobile or desktop.
In-person mental health care
In-person visits offer similar benefits and people of all ages can be seen. In-person visits are a good option for resources, solution-focused therapy and assessing your ongoing mental health care needs. Children and adolescents ages 17 and younger require parental or guardian consent to visit with a mental health consultant.
When to consider a mental health consultation
Talk with a mental health consultant if you are currently experiencing any of the following, but not limited to:
- sadness or irritability
- excessive fear, worry, anxiety or guilt
- extreme or frequent mood swings
- loneliness, not feeling like being with friends, family or completing your activities
- changes in sleeping habits or feeling tired and low energy
- difficulties managing everyday stress
- alcohol or drug use impacting daily life
- suicidal thoughts.
If you are experiencing a medical or mental health emergency, call 911 or visit the nearest Emergency Department.
Insurance and pricing
Many of our primary care clinics offer mental health consultations and most health insurance plans will cover your visit.
Sign in to your Allina Health account to use the price estimates tool. You can create a price estimate as a guest if you don’t have an account.