About this service
What to expect
- You can expect that it will take at least three to six months to prepare for surgery.
- The care team will talk with you to help you determine the operation that is best to meet your goals.
- You will get a lot of education and information before surgery to make sure you feel prepared and ready for surgery.
- You will have several clinic visits before surgery.
- During your hospital stay, you will receive care from specially trained staff members.
- You will have a private hospital room during your hospital stay.
- You will be encouraged to follow up with us at least once a year, every year after surgery.
Good to know
After sleeve gastrectomy surgery, you will stay in the hospital for one night. Before returning home, you will receive instructions from your care team to remind you about the education you received in the clinic before surgery. The doctor or medical provider will give you information for pain management and other medications you will take when you get home.
We will work with you and your insurance company to understand what services and care are covered.
Good for treating
Weight loss not only makes you feel better, move better and improve your energy, many other health problems get better:
- type 2 diabetes
- high blood pressure
- sleep apnea
- heart disease
- high cholesterol
- polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)
- back and joint pain
Source: Deborah Vanderhall, RN, program manager, Allina Health Weight Management
Reviewed by: Charles Svendsen, MD, program medical director, Allina Health Weight Management
First published: 12/13/2017
Last reviewed: 12/11/2017