Jake Wessels, MD, CAQ
- Family medicine
- Family practice
- Preventive medicine
- Sports Medicine
- Concussion management
- Musculoskeletal medicine
- Virtual visits
I am a board-certified family medicine physician with a special interest in orthopedics and sports medicine, including sports & musculoskeletal medicine, concussion management, fracture management, running and endurance athlete care, college and high school team coverage and other non-surgical orthopedics. My other professional interests include pediatrics and newborn care and preventative medicine. I offer face-to-face virtual visits for a variety of health services and conditions.
My practice philosophy is: to partner with patients to emphasize the health part of health care; preventing illness and getting back to pre-injury functioning.
Hometown: Dyersville, Iowa
I am passionate about: caring for all levels of athlete; whether your sport is football or gardening, I want to help you return to the activities you love and achieve your goals.
If I wasn't a doctor, I'd be: an international tour guide because I love learning about new places and exploring the food, landscape and culture around the world.
One of the challenges I enjoy about my career is: the uniqueness of each patient and the challenges that each presents. Being a family medicine doctor allows me to care for young, old, and everyone in between.
My personal health goal is: to go helicopter skiing in Alaska!
- Family medicine
- University of Minnesota Medical School
- Luther College
- American College of Sports Medicine
- American Medical Society of Sports Medicine
- Female Athlete Triad Coalition
- Gold Humanism Honor Society
Current licenses and certifications
- American Academy of Family Practice - Board Certified
- Performing Arts Medicine Association - PAMA Certified
- Allina Health - United Family Medicine Residency in St. Paul, MN
- University of Minnesota Sports Medicine Fellowship
Years of experience
Are you this provider? Update your profile.
Major health plans we participate in
- Allina Health | Aetna
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota
Other health plans we participate in
- America's PPO
- First Health/Coventry
- Hennepin Health (formerly Metropolitan Health Plan)
- South Country Health Alliance
- United Behavioral Health
- Wisconsin Physician Services (WPS)