Jake Wessels, MD, CAQ
- Family medicine
- Family practice
- Preventive medicine
- Sports Medicine
- Concussion management
- Musculoskeletal medicine
- Virtual visits
I am a board-certified family medicine physician with a special interest in orthopedics and sports medicine, including sports & musculoskeletal medicine, concussion management, fracture management, running and endurance athlete care, college and high school team coverage and other non-surgical orthopedics. My other professional interests include pediatrics and newborn care and preventative medicine. I offer face-to-face virtual visits for a variety of health services and conditions.
My practice philosophy is: to partner with patients to emphasize the health part of health care; preventing illness and getting back to pre-injury functioning.
Hometown: Dyersville, Iowa
I am passionate about: caring for all levels of athlete; whether your sport is football or gardening, I want to help you return to the activities you love and achieve your goals.
If I wasn't a doctor, I'd be: an international tour guide because I love learning about new places and exploring the food, landscape and culture around the world.
One of the challenges I enjoy about my career is: the uniqueness of each patient and the challenges that each presents. Being a family medicine doctor allows me to care for young, old, and everyone in between.
My personal health goal is: to go helicopter skiing in Alaska!
- Family medicine
- University of Minnesota Medical School
- Luther College
- American College of Sports Medicine
- American Medical Society of Sports Medicine
- Female Athlete Triad Coalition
- Gold Humanism Honor Society
Current licenses and certifications
- American Academy of Family Practice - Board Certified
- Performing Arts Medicine Association - PAMA Certified
- Allina Health - United Family Medicine Residency in St. Paul, MN
- University of Minnesota Sports Medicine Fellowship
Years of experience
Are you this provider? Update your profile.
To verify your specific doctor's or hospital's network participation with any plan, please contact the health plan directly. This information is subject to change and may not be reflected until the next update. We accept many insurance plans, providing access to providers across a wide range of specialties. Learn more.
Major health plans we accept
- Allina Health | Aetna
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota
Other health plans we accept
- America's PPO
- First Health/Coventry
- Hennepin Health (formerly Metropolitan Health Plan)
- South Country Health Alliance
- United Behavioral Health
- Wisconsin Physician Services (WPS)