We spend a lot of time at work—up to one-third of our lives—so it shouldn’t be surprising that our work directly impacts our health. Both the work environment and physical demands can create health-related concerns or injury.
Occupational medicine focuses on health concerns or injuries related to or caused by our work environment or job. Occupational medicine also provides employers with pre-employment screening/testing services (including pre-placement exams) and workplace wellness programs.
What it is
Occupational medicine physicians provide these services:
- Workers compensation comprehensive injury care
- Physical evaluations, such as pre-placement physicals and return to work/fitness for duty exams
- Screenings, such as drug testing and audiometric testing
Good for treating
- Injury that occurred at an individual’s workplace
- Iinjury resulting from physical requirements of an individual’s job
- Pre-employment screenings and tests
First published: 6/1/2018