Specialty pharmacy program
You would benefit from specialty pharmacy program services if you have a complex medical condition, such as multiple sclerosis, organ transplant, inflammatory diseases or hepatitis C.
- The specialty pharmacy program has medications that are only available at specialty pharmacies.
- We can help with your insurance and explain how much your out-of-pocket costs are for your special medications.
What it is
Specialty pharmacy programs focus on special medications if you have have complex medical conditions, including organ transplant, multiple sclerosis, hepatitis C or inflammatory conditions such as arthritis, spondylitis, Crohn’s disease, colitis or psoriasis.
What to expect
Specialty pharmacy program pharmacists are medication experts who provide medications and advise you, your caregivers and your health care team about the safest and most cost-effective medication therapies for your condition.
- some medications are only available through a specialty pharmacy program
- help you understand your medication, including how to take it and how to store it to maximize the effectiveness of your medication
- help you monitor side effects
- communicate with you and your health care team
- send you refill reminders
- deliver medication to you
- review medication benefits/costs with your health insurance company
- coordinate prior authorizations between your health insurance company and your health care provider
- you can send a message to a specialty pharmacist through your secure, online Allina Health account
- available to you by phone 24/7.
Good to know
The Specialty Pharmacy Program is located within the Allina Health Heart Hospital Pharmacy (920 28th St E, Minneapolis, MN 55407). Staff members are available at the specialty pharmacy 24/7 – you can call us anytime with questions.
The Specialty Pharmacy Program is accredited by The Joint Commission.
Source: Vic Antilley, R.Ph.
Reviewed by: Vic Antilley, R.Ph.
First published: 10/5/2017
Last reviewed: 9/29/2017