Traditional chinese medicine consult
Traditional Chinese medicine focuses on restoring your body to help it heal itself. This age-old practice uses herbs, acupuncture or acupressure, massage, food therapy, and/or mind-body exercise to stimulate healing.
What it is traditional Chinese medicine?
Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) can help support your best health and well-being. It is a complex and broad healing system that has been practiced for more than 2,000 years. In this visit you, will learn more about Traditional Chinese Medicine and how it can help you.
What to expect from your traditional Chinese medicine consult
Your first visit is usually 60 to 90 minutes. The provider will ask many questions about your past and present health. You will be examined to try to find the pattern of imbalance that is causing your illness. You will also learn about the different components of Traditional Chinese Medicine, such as:
- Chinese herbal medicine
- tui na massage
- dietary therapy
- mind-body techniques such as tai chi and qi gong
- Gua sha
You will be examined to try to find the pattern of imbalance that is causing your illness, and assessed and treated in ways to help you maintain your optimal health.
More about your traditional Chinese medicine consult
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing to your appointment.
- Acupuncturists at Allina Health are certified by the National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine and licensed by the Minnesota Board of Medical Practice. They have completed at least 3,000 hours of training.
Traditional Chinese medicine can be good for treating
- Chronic health challenges
- Sleep conditions
- Pain management
- Side effects of medical treatments
Source: Penny George Institute for Health and Healing
Reviewed by: Jennifer Blair, LAc, MaOM, and Michael Egan, LAc, MaOM,
First published: 3/7/2017
Last reviewed: 8/6/2021