Prenatal, Birth and Parenting Classes: The Mother Baby Center at Mercy with Children's
For women delivering at The Mother Baby Center at Mercy with Children's Minnesota in Coon Rapids.
Allina Health partners with Amma Parenting Center to offer pregnancy, parenting and newborn care classes to help you prepare for childbirth and healthy childhood development. See below for a partial listing of Amma classes.
For a full class listing (including online options), dates/times, locations, fees and registration, visit Amma Parenting Center's website. Amma classes are located through the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area. You can take a class at any Amma location.
Preparing for childbirth: A comprehensive class that covers everything you need to know to prepare for childbirth:
- The final weeks of pregnancy
- The birth process, including the different stages and phases of labor
- Labor support techniques
- Basic breathing and relaxation for labor
- Supportive technologies and induction
- Cesarean birth
- Postpartum recovery and the adjustment to parenthood
Breastfeeding: Preparation goes a long way when you’re planning to breastfeed. Topics include:
- How milk is produced in the breast
- Getting started in the hospital
- Establishing a plentiful milk supply
- Recognizing signs of success, as well as when to seek help
- Interpreting your baby’s hunger cues
- Life as a nursing mother
- Common concerns and how to handle them
- What partners and family members need to know
The new mama class: Bring your newborn to a baby-friendly environment and get help on: feeding, sleep, soothing, vaccinations and pediatric visits, postpartum adjustment, emotions, returning to work, and more.
Infant CPR and first aid: These courses are not certification courses, but the curricula follows those of the American Heart Association CPR and First Aid classes. The instructors are AHA certified.
Big brothers and big sisters: This class is for three-to-six year-olds about to become a big sibling. We’ll have circle time to talk about what to expect and see photos of newborns with their siblings. Children will get a chance to hold a baby doll and practice being gentle. We’ll read a story about new babies and the “big feelings” that a sibling can have. Children will end by crafting a special project for mommy to take with her to the hospital.