Your health is not just about your physical condition, it's about your well-being. Allina Health midwives understand that and support you with personalized, holistic care through all stages of life, from growing your family to menopause.
What it is
Midwives work with women and families through all stages of life including pregnancy, childbirth at family-focused birth center, routine annual health exams and menopause.
Allina Health midwives provide holistic care focused on helping your overall well-being, nutrition and healthy lifestyle, while supporting your emotional and physical wellness. Midwives at Allina Health are certified nurse-midwives who have an advanced master's or doctoral degree and is certified by the American College of Nurse-Midwives.
Good to know
Allina Health midwives “catch” babies at the following family-oriented birth centers.
Starting Sunday, April 12, at 6 a.m., The Mother Baby Center at Abbott Northwestern Hospital will temporarily discontinue midwife-attended births. Instead, our midwives will attend births at The Mother Baby Center at United Hospital in St Paul.
- Annie Huber, CNM, DNP
- Kristin Paul-Gatyas, CNM, MSN
- Carlyn Penwell, CNM, DNP
- Ann Rice, CNM, MSN
- Kathrine Simon, CNM, MS, lead midwife
The Mother Baby Center at Mercy with Children's Minnesota in Coon Rapids:
- Deka Abudelle, CNM
What to expect
During pregnancy care and childbirth your midwife will:
- offer care that combines conventional and complementary care recommendations
- support your birthing choices, including water birth, vaginal birth after Cesarean (vbac), trial of labor after Cesarean (tolac) and family-centered Cesarean services, as appropriate with collaborative obstetrics partners
- support your decision to use or not use medication in labor; nitrous oxide is available at The Mother Baby Centers of Allina Health and St. Francis Regional Medical Center Birth Center.
- encourage use of doulas for continuous labor support, hypnotherapy classes for birth preparation and placental encapsulation
For general care needs your midwife may offer annual health exams, pap tests, birth control, infertility evaluations, menstruation evaluations and menopause care among other women's health care services.
Source: Allina Health Primary Care
Reviewed by: Kathrine Simon, CNM, lead certified nurse-midwife
First published: 3/1/2017
Last reviewed: 3/1/2017