Don Zarate, MD
- Family medicine
- Adult medicine and chronic care
- Preventative medicine
- Psychiatry in primary care
- Acute/same-day care
- Virtual visits
- Suboxone treatment for Opioid Use Disorder
Don Zarate, MD is a family doctor at Allina Health Faribault.
What is your practice philosophy? Listen actively. Your patients will tell you how you can best help them.
Hometown: Nueva Vizcaya, Philippines
What are you passionate about? And why? Helping patients set a personal goal for themselves and helping them get there.
Why did you become a provider? When did you know this was the career for you? I was a registered nurse before I decided to go to medical school. Nursing trained me to be compassionate and ever-present for patients, but at the same time I had the inclination to learn medicine on a deeper level and to take on a more active and decisive role in health care.
Something I have learned from my patients is: When a patient says “Oh by the way, doc…” at the latter part of their appointment, a lot of times THAT is the main reason for their doctor’s visit.
One of the challenges of this career that I enjoy is (and why): There is always something new to learn in medicine. I find this very challenging but at the same time very interesting and fulfilling.
My personal health goal is: I am working towards making my diet more plant-strong.
What are you most proud of? I am simply proud to be my parents’ son. I work hard to make them proud.
- Family medicine
- University of Santo Tomas Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, Philippines
- Wesleyan University - Philippines, Cabanatuan City, Nueva Ecija, Philippines
- American Association of Family Physicians
- Philippine Medical Association
- Tomasian Alumni Association
- UST Medical Alumni Association
Years of experience
Additional languages spoken
Are you this provider? Update your profile.
Major health plans we participate in
- Allina Health | Aetna
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota
Other health plans we participate in
- America's PPO
- First Health/Coventry
- Hennepin Health (formerly Metropolitan Health Plan)
- South Country Health Alliance
- United Behavioral Health
- Wisconsin Physician Services (WPS)