Don Zarate, MD
- Family medicine
- Adult medicine and chronic care
- Preventative medicine
- Psychiatry in primary care
- Acute/same-day care
- Virtual visits
Don Zarate, MD is a family doctor at Allina Health Faribault.
What is your practice philosophy? Listen actively. Your patients will tell you how you can best help them.
Hometown: Nueva Vizcaya, Philippines
What are you passionate about? And why? Helping patients set a personal goal for themselves and helping them get there.
Why did you become a provider? When did you know this was the career for you? I was a registered nurse before I decided to go to medical school. Nursing trained me to be compassionate and ever-present for patients, but at the same time I had the inclination to learn medicine on a deeper level and to take on a more active and decisive role in health care.
Something I have learned from my patients is: When a patient says “Oh by the way, doc…” at the latter part of their appointment, a lot of times THAT is the main reason for their doctor’s visit.
One of the challenges of this career that I enjoy is (and why): There is always something new to learn in medicine. I find this very challenging but at the same time very interesting and fulfilling.
My personal health goal is: I am working towards making my diet more plant-strong.
What are you most proud of? I am simply proud to be my parents’ son. I work hard to make them proud.
- Family medicine
- University of Santo Tomas Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, Philippines
- Wesleyan University - Philippines, Cabanatuan City, Nueva Ecija, Philippines
- American Association of Family Physicians
- Philippine Medical Association
- Tomasian Alumni Association
- UST Medical Alumni Association
Years of experience
Additional languages spoken
Are you this provider? Update your profile.
To verify your specific doctor's or hospital's network participation with any plan, please contact the health plan directly. This information is subject to change and may not be reflected until the next update. We accept many insurance plans, providing access to providers across a wide range of specialties. Learn more.
Major health plans we accept
- Allina Health | Aetna
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota
Other health plans we accept
- America's PPO
- First Health/Coventry
- Hennepin Health (formerly Metropolitan Health Plan)
- South Country Health Alliance
- United Behavioral Health
- Wisconsin Physician Services (WPS)