Laura Maus, MD
- Family medicine
- Mood Disorders
- Women's Health
- Weight Loss
Laura Maus, MD is a family doctor at Allina Health Richfield Clinic.
What is your practice philosophy? Listen, then work together to find an answer.
Hometown: Walker, MN
What are you passionate about? And why? Women’s Health and contraception access because I grew up in a small town with limited access to this.
If I wasn’t a provider, I would be a: Dairy Queen Owner/Manager because I worked there growing up and loved it (and ice cream….).
Why did you become a provider? When did you know this was the career for you? I like getting to know new people, and help solve problems. Science was always challenging and fascinating, and I never thought I would become a doctor. I knew it was the right choice in residency when I got to truly help people during their time of need.
Something I have learned from my patients is: Listen and be available. Create a safe and non-judgmental space to share thoughts, ideas, and opinions.
One of the challenges of this career that I enjoy is (and why): Educating patients about chronic diseases, healthy lifestyle choices, and nutrition. There is so much misinformation and people trying to make money off of lose weight fast products, so sometimes it takes a while to warn patients and also provide them with safe treatment options.
My personal health goal is: Run another half marathon.
What is the best thing you’ve done for your health or the best health advice you’ve received? Weight loss and health is dependent on what you eat. You can exercise all you want but still feel tired and out of shape, and not lose weight if you are not giving your body the correct fuel.
- Family medicine
- Walking my dog
- M.D., University of Minnesota School of Medicine (Primary Care Track, Duluth)
- B.A., Chemistry, Hamline University
- American Academy of Family Physicians, 2009 to present
- American Medical Association, 2009 to present
- Minnesota Academy of Family Practice, 2016 to present
- Physicians for Reproductive Choice, 2016 to present
Current licenses and certifications
- Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support, 2014
- Advanced Life Support in Obstetrics, 2015
- American Board of Family Medicine 2016
- Cultural Competency Certification 2019
- Nexplanon Insertion/Removal, 2013
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support 2015
- Family Medicine Residency, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center-St. Margaret
Years of experience
Are you this provider? Update your profile.
Major health plans we participate in
- Allina Health | Aetna
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Minnesota
Other health plans we participate in
- America's PPO
- First Health/Coventry
- Hennepin Health (formerly Metropolitan Health Plan)
- South Country Health Alliance
- United Behavioral Health
- Wisconsin Physician Services (WPS)