Lan P. Luu, MD, MPH
- Internal medicine
- Chronic disease management
- Health equity
- Immigrant/refugee health
- Newborn care
- Preventative care
- Transition of care for pediatrics
- Travel health
My role as a physician is to be an advocate and active listener. I believe in meeting my patients where they are at and engaging in shared decision making.
Hometown: San Francisco, California and Eden Prairie, Minnesota
I am passionate about caring for patients of all ages and lifelong learning (medical and non-medical).
If I wasn't a provider, I would be a travel photographer because it would be a good excuse for me to travel a lot and learn about other cultures.
Why did you become a provider? I used to be a community mental health case manager and decided to go back to medical school to become a doctor because of my passion for helping others live a healthy, active lifestyle. I also felt that a medical background would allow me to play an active role in addressing health disparities. I chose to become an internal medicine/pediatrics physician because I will be able to care for patients throughout their life, in particular the pediatric population with complex medical needs.
Something I have learned from my patients is how to be an active and compassionate listener.
One of the challenges of this career that I enjoy is answering tough questions from my patients because it pushes me to learn new things and takes me out of my comfort zone.
My personal health goal is to stay hydrated, walk with my family and make home-cooked meals.
What are you most proud of? The birth of my son.
- Internal medicine
- Spending time with family
- University of Minnesota Medical School
- University of Minnesota School of Public Health
- University of Minnesota College of Liberal Arts
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- American College of Physicians
- Gold Humanism Honor Society
- Minnesota Medical Association
- University of Minnesota Internal Medicine & Pediatrics Residency Program
Years of experience
Additional languages spoken
- Abbott Northwestern Hospital
- The Mother Baby Center at Abbott Northwestern and Children's Minnesota
Are you this provider? Update your profile.