Abbott Northwestern Hospital Surgical Services
Preoperative Care Center, Piper Building
Minneapolis, MN 55404
- Mon—Thu 7:30 a.m.—5:30 p.m.
- Fri 7:30 a.m.—4:30 p.m.
- Sat—Sun Closed
Services at this location are provided by Abbott Northwestern Hospital.
About this location
Abbott Northwestern Hospital's Preoperative Care Center (POCC) is in the lower level of the Piper Building at the corner of East 26th Street and 10th Avenue.
- Getting to Abbott Northwestern Hospital
- Use the campus guide to find your destination, or download the Allina Health mobile app to your Apple or Android device to get directions anywhere on campus.
- Valet and self-parking are available in the lot next to the Piper Building.
- Please stop at the admitting desk in the lobby before checking in at the Preoperative Care Center's reception desk on the lower level.
Information for family and friends
- The Main Surgery Family waiting room is near the east elevators of the lower level. Families should remain here until talking with the surgeon after the procedure.
- The Outpatient Surgery Discharge Unit (OSDU) waiting room is also in the lower level and is for families of patients having an outpatient procedure. Please check in at the Main Surgery Family waiting room desk before being directed to this area. Please remain in this area until talking with the surgeon after the procedure.
- Family members should always check in and out with the Guest Services staff in the Main Surgery Family waiting room so they can be located for updates if necessary.
- Some family members may wait in another waiting room, the hospital lobby or the patient's assigned nursing station.
Services for families
- Surgical Services has an electronic tracking system that provides you with a screen view of the patient's place in the surgery process.
- Telephones are available. Long distance calls should be placed with calling cards or collect. Cell phones work in most areas of the waiting rooms.
- We provide pagers for on-campus use, as well as a computer for Internet and email access in the main surgery family waiting room.
- Food and snacks are allowed in the waiting rooms. Coffee and water are available, and vending machines are nearby. Also on campus are a cafeteria and café.