Taking warfarin (Coumadin, Jantoven) - what to ask your doctor
Warfarin - what to ask your doctor; Coumadin - what to ask your doctor; What to ask your doctor about taking warfarin (Coumadin); Jantoven - what to ask your doctor; What to ask your doctor about taking warfarin (Jantoven)
Warfarin (Coumadin, Jantoven) is a medicine that helps keep your blood from clotting. This drug may be important if you have already had blood clots, or if your doctor is worried that you may form a blood clot.
Below are questions you may want to ask your health care provider to help you when you take warfarin.
Why am I taking warfarin?
- What is a blood thinner?
- How does it work?
- Are there alternative blood thinners I could use?
What will be changed for me?
- How much bruising or bleeding should I expect?
- Are there exercises, sports activities, or other activities that are not safe for me?
- What should I do differently at school or work?
How should I take warfarin?
- Do I take it every day? Will it be the same dosage? What time of the day should I take it?
- How can I tell the different warfarin pills apart?
- What should I do if I am late for a dose? What should I do if I forget to take a dose?
- How long will I need to take the warfarin?
Can I still take acetaminophen (Tylenol), aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), or naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn)? What about other pain medicines? How about cold medicines? What should I do if a doctor gives me a new prescription?
Do I need to make any changes in what I eat or drink? Can I drink alcohol?
What should I do if I fall? Are there changes I should make around the home?
What are the signs or symptoms that I may be bleeding somewhere in my body?
Do I need any blood tests? Where do I get them? How often?
Aronson JK. Coumarin anticoagulants. In: Aronson JK, ed. Meyler's Side Effects of Drugs. 16th ed. Waltham, MA: Elsevier; 2016:702-737.
Bristol-Myers Squibb Company. Coumadin (warfarin sodium) Information. Updated September 2016. Bmsmedinfo.com web site.
Jaffer IH, Weitz JI. Antithrombotic therapy. In: Cronenwett JL, Johnston KW, eds. Rutherford's Vascular Surgery. 8th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier Saunders; 2014:chap 35.