Deep natural breathing is a powerful and simple relaxation exercise. You can do this exercise for one to two minutes, several times a day.
How to breathe deeply
- Sit down or lie on your back in bed. Make sure your feet and hands are not crossed.
- Begin to bring your thoughts and attention to your breath.
- Feel where your breath comes in and out of your nose.
- Put one hand on your stomach so you can feel it rise with each breath.
- Breathe in deeply through your nose. Let your lungs fill completely and your belly to expand, moving your hand outward.
- Slowly breathe out. Make a "whooshing" sound with pursed lips. (Pursed lips are in the shape of blowing out a candle.)
- Try breathing out twice as long as you breathe in.
- Repeat several times in a slow, deliberate manner.
Other things to think about
- Notice how your body feels when you are breathing.
- Notice how your muscles soften and how the breathing releases your stress and pain.
- Gently bring your attention back to your breathing if your mind starts to wander.